December is a great time of year to be a Flower Mound resident. We have so many fun holiday events for the whole family.
If I had to pick my favorite, it would be our annual Christmas Parade on Saturday, December 5th, from 5:45 to 9 p.m. We have received a lot of positive feedback with moving the parade to the evening, which provides the community an opportunity to enjoy all the lighted floats and decorations.
We’re also bringing back the tree-lighting ceremony at the Community Activity Center in addition to hay rides, a snow hill, pictures with Santa Claus, a petting zoo, pony rides, food trucks, and kids’ activities.
You don’t want to miss performances by the Shadow Ridge Middle School Jazz Band, Lamar Middle School Longhorn Choir, or the Forestwood Middle School Falcon Voices Choir.
Be sure to bring a couple of canned goods for the Summit Club members collecting them for Christian Community Action, who are always the first group in the parade. For complete parade information and other activities, please visit www.flower-mound.com/parade.
November was a busy month for Flower Mound. On November 2, we welcomed back former council member Mark Wise to fill the Place 1 vacancy. Mark’s knowledge of many of the current town projects will provide a virtually seamless transition and his passion for Flower Mound has always been an invaluable asset.
Voters overwhelmingly approved the four-year reauthorization of the street maintenance sales tax on November 5. Over the next four years, the town will use these dedicated sales tax funds to complete nine street reconstruction projects and 16 street rehabilitation projects. As noted, the sales tax will remain 8.25 percent in Flower Mound. If you’d like more information about the 2015 dedicated sales tax election, please visit www.flower-mound.com/dste2015.
Also in November, the council approved the site plan for a new temporary Fire Station No. 6, and future western operations and maintenance facility, for an area south of Sunrise Circle and east of Stonecrest Road. This fire station will service the western portions of town, such as the Canyon Falls residential development and the future Argyle ISD middle school, which will open in time for the 2016-2017 school year.
Having the new Fire Station No. 6 will support the town’s Insurance Service Office (ISO) rating, and is scheduled to come onboard in July with nine firefighters. Once a permanent Fire Station No. 6 is constructed, the temporary fire station will be utilized by Public Works staff as the western maintenance and operations facility.
In park news, council approved the next steps for Phase II of Heritage Park, which will include 88 lighted-parking spaces, a half-mile trail, 11 picnic stations, a sculpture, and a half-acre fishable pond, complete with a waterfall and aerator. Phase II is expected to be complete in approximately seven months. The following are a few more improvements that were approved by council, coming to a park near you:
- Shadow Ridge Park will receive a large picnic pavilion with four picnic tables, barbecue grill and trash receptacle, two combination picnic shade structures, a full basketball court, and trail connections providing an accessible path of travel from the parking lot to all the new amenities. The current picnic tables, benches and concrete pads will be removed.
- Bluebonnet Park will receive a small picnic pavilion with one picnic table, barbecue grill and trash receptacle, trail connections, and a half basketball court.
- Westchester Park will receive a large picnic pavilion with four picnic tables, barbecue grill and trash receptacle, and a trail connection.
- Northshore Park will receive a small picnic pavilion with two picnic tables, barbecue grill, trash receptacle, and a trail connection.
- Glenwick Park will receive a small picnic pavilion with two picnic tables, barbecue grill and trash receptacle, and a trail connection.
I hope to see you and your family at the Christmas Parade or one of our many other holiday events. For all the latest news and information, be sure to visit www.flower-mound.com.