The American Red Cross issued an emergency call for blood donors on Monday, the same day that it is conducting a blood drive in Flower Mound.
“A donation shortfall over the winter holidays” prompted the emergency call “to prevent a blood shortage from continuing throughout winter and affecting patient care,” according to the Red Cross news release.
“Many people may not realize that blood products are perishable, and the only source of lifesaving blood for patients is volunteer blood donors,” said Cliff Numark, senior vice president, Red Cross Biomedical Services. “When donations decline – as they did around the holidays and may further decline if severe winter weather and flu season pick up – lifesaving medical treatments could be delayed.”
As of Monday, the Red Cross has less than a three-day supply of most blood types on hand, well below the ideal five-day supply needed to respond to emergencies and daily hospital needs. Blood products are currently being distributed to hospitals faster than donations are coming in, and winter weather over the next two months could force cancellations of blood drives.
All eligible donors, especially blood donors with type O blood, are urged to make an appointment to give in the coming days to help restock the shelves for hospital patients. Eligible donors can find a blood donation opportunity and schedule an appointment to donate by using the free Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767). Volunteer blood drive hosts are also critically needed to prevent the shortage from worsening this winter.
A blood donation opportunity is being held Monday from 1-7 p.m. at the Flower Mound First Baptist Church, 1901 Timber Creek Road.
Future blood donation opportunities in the southern Denton County area include:
- Jan. 18: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Toyota Denton, 4100 S. I-35 E. Frontage Road
- Jan. 19: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., St. Andrew Presbyterian Church, 300 West Oak St.
- Jan. 24: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Billy Ryan High School, 5101 East McKinney St.
- Feb. 12: 2 p.m. – 8 p.m., Young Life High School, 1901 Timber Creek Road
- Jan. 21: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Auto Nation Nissan Lewisville, 1601 S. Stemmons Freeway
- Feb. 6: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Texas Waste Management, 520 E. Corporate Drive, Suite 100