On Wednesday, Dec. 5, high school football players from the surrounding communities in both public and private schools are invited to Liberty Christian School’s first College Showcase that will feature college coaches who are scouting athletes for their university programs.
“We want to help football coaches and scouts find the amazing high school athletes who play football in the North Texas area,” said Liberty’s College Recruiting Coordinator Ross Roby. “This important night will provide athletes access to coaches from universities where they may want to play in the future.”
This event also benefits college coaches, as they will meet high school football players all in one place instead of traveling from school to school, giving them an edge and helping them stay ahead of the recruiting curve.
The growing list of colleges that will attend include the following:
- Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colo.
- Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa
- The University of Texas at El Paso, Texas
- Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas
- Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Penn.
- Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas
- Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth, Texas
- Southern Nazarene University in Bethany, Okla.
- Northwestern Oklahoma State in Alva, Okla.
- The University of Texas Permian Basin in Odessa, Texas
- Hardin Simmons University in Abilene, Texas
- East Texas Baptist University in Marshall, Texas
- Howard Payne University in Brownwood, Texas
- Bethel University in St. Paul, Minn.
- Southwestern Assemblies of God in Waxahachie, Texas
All of the colleges in attendance will receive a database of every athlete’s stats and his Hudl highlights and contact information.
Doors open at 6 p.m. for athletes. College coaches attending will enjoy a complimentary catered dinner at 5 p.m. prior to the event. High school coaches are also invited to the dinner to give them additional time to interact with college coaches to trade information and take photos.
Coach Roby, who played football in college and the Canadian Football League, said this experience would have benefitted him greatly when he was in high school, helping him know the many options and universities available to him. He wants to give students an opportunity to be seen by colleges they would not have otherwise.
“At this event, we anticipate more than 150 student athletes from the area, as we want to help them make intelligent decisions about their college choice and find the best fit,” Coach Roby said. “It will help not only athletes with their future plans but also colleges as they continue to build relationships with Texas high schools and coaches.”
Liberty Christian School is located at 1301 S. Hwy. 377 in Argyle.