Everyone loves to gather together for football season with family and friends to pull for their favorite team. Other than team colors running through the veins, the center of it all seems to forever be …you guessed it—FOOD!
Across the nation, this year will be no different for ESPN College GameDay football fans and the Sunday afternoon nap NFL fans alike, so here at The Cross Timbers Gazette, we present the 2nd Annual Best Football Food Pic Contest (www.bestfootballfoodpic.com) made possible by The Dental Depot of Highland Village. Just ask last year’s winner, Randi Dukes of Flower Mound, how much fun she had and how easy it was to submit a photo and win all the awesome prizes! Here’s how:
Rules of contest:
1. Snap a photo of your favorite football snacks and game day meals. Photos may include people, groups, businesses, and team colors along with the food. Entries that do not include food will not be eligible for the contest.
2. Submit your best entry to [email protected] with your NAME, NAME OF ENTRY, and ADDRESS WHERE YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE PRIZES if your entry receives the most votes. FB NAME and TWITTER MONIKER are optional and may contribute to increased exposure for your entry.
3. Follow us and vote on facebook.com/bestfootballfoodpic.
4. Encourage your friends to follow us and “vote” for your entry, once we have approved and posted it, by simply “liking” it. “Liking” the Best Football Food Picture 2011 ALBUM does not qualify as a vote. Votes will only be applied to the contest as individual “likes” on a particular photo entry within the album itself on the facebook.com/bestfootballfoodpic fan page.
5. Voting begins on September 1 and continues through September 30. The picture with the most “likes” wins.
6. Winner will be announced September 30 on facebook.com/bestfootballfoodpic.
Now on to the good stuff… the prizes:
When Pigs Fly Bookends, donated by Chicks Dig it … and Guys do too! in Flower Mound
6 AMC Movie Tickets (Anywhere in U.S.), donated by The Shops At Highland Village
Vera Bradley Bag, donated by Brightside Boutique, Highland Village
Rodan and Fields Anti-Aging Skin Care, $150, Leigh Nivens Barnes, Franklin, TN
$1,000 Value Core Whitening, Dental Depot, Highland Village
$100 Gift Card to Cloud 9 Salon and Spa, Highland Village
$200 Maid Service from Buckets and Bows (Local Winners Only)
Prize offers expire 12/31/2011. ONLY entries with a U.S. mailing address will be eligible to win. Prizes will ONLY be shipped to out of area winners. “Out of area” will be determined by contest staff on a case-by-case basis.
We look forward to seeing what’s cooking! Thank you for participating in Best Football Food Picture 2011!
Meanwhile, here is one of my favorite recipes that you might enjoy with your family this football season or anytime. We love it at our house and so do our guests. It all starts with delicious Gulf Shrimp and it’s super easy…you can’t go wrong with that!
BOB’S SWEET AND SMOKEY SHRIMP
½ Stick real butter
2-3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ Yellow Onion, diced
½ Red, Orange, or Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
3 Garlic Cloves, diced
1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
1 Dash Cayenne Pepper
2 Tablespoons McCormick Smokey Sweet Seasoning
1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
1 lb. Uncooked Gulf Shrimp, peeled
½ Cup White Wine
6–8 Servings of Cooked Rice
Start by melting ½ stick butter and 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in large wide mouth sauté pan. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic cloves on medium-high heat until wilted. Add spices to vegetables and stir. After a few minutes, toss Gulf shrimp into pan, using the wine to add moisture as needed. Shrimp will take on a pinkish tone when cooked through after a few minutes. Do not overcook. Serve over rice or baked tilapia and accompany with garlic bread, stuffed zucchini, and wild field salad.
For a video demo of this recipe featuring guest star Dr. Himesh Kana of The Dental Depot of Highland Village, visit: WWW.BESTFOOTBALLFOODPIC.COM.