The Lantana Ladies Golf Association will host their fifth annual Rally for the Cure Invitational Golf Tournament on Saturday, Oct. 9, at the Lantana Golf Club, featuring LPGA Hall of Famer Kathy Whitworth as a guest speaker during the tournament luncheon.
“We are honored to have Kathy Whitworth’s presence at this most important event,” said Kim Schwimmer, chair for Lantana’s Rally for the Cure.
“Kathy lit up the women’s golf world, and I have no doubt she will light up our luncheon. The funds raised will directly help our community, in addition to assisting the national effort in breast cancer research. We encourage our local businesses and community to get involved.”
Whitworth won 88 tournaments, more than any other professional golfer in history, male or female. She was inducted into the LPGA Tour Hall of Fame in 1975. She won six majors and was the LPGA Player of the Year seven times. The Associated Press named Whitworth Athlete of the Year in 1965 and 1967.
Both men and women are invited to play in the tournament that is anticipated to have a full field of 144 players. The event, which benefits the Susan G. Komen Foundation, will include a continental breakfast, luncheon and awards ceremony, as well as various contests and fun events throughout the day, such as Pilates-for-golf warm up, chair massages and hole-in-one prizes.
The Ladies Golf Association is looking for people to support this event through one of the following:
• Play in the tournament – Open to men and women with shotgun start at 8:30 a.m.; $75 for LGC members, $95 for guests. To register, call the LGC pro shop at (940) 728-4653, ext. 1.
• Attend only the luncheon – For those who don’t want to golf, they may still attend the luncheon for $25. To RSVP for the luncheon, email LantanaLGA@yahoo.com.
• Sponsor the event – Sponsorship opportunities start at $50. Sponsors will receive one round of golf at Lantana Golf Club for every $100 in sponsorship; $20 cart fee not included.
• Volunteer – Non-golfers needed to help with tournament set up, check-in, and various activities.
• Decorate your yard – Lantana residents, especially those who live on the golf course, interested in showing their support can decorate their yards with pink on Oct. 9.
• Honor a loved one who has been afflicted by cancer – Display their name prominently on a pink ribbon sign that will be placed in the Field of Hope for a $5 donation per sign.
• Make a donation in the amount of your choosing.
To support Rally for the Cure, contact Kim Schwimmer at email@example.com or 214-405-3507. For additional tournament information, visit www.facebook.com/LantanaRallyfortheCure.