David Johnson, along-time active resident of Flower Mound and current Planning & Zoning commissioner, announced this week his intent to run for Town Council Place 2, currently held by Sandeep Sharma.
Johnson said in a news release that he is running for council because of recent dysfunction among council members over issues such as the cancellation of the town’s crossing guard contract, “open disrespect” for town leaders and a “botched town budget process.
Johnson is a 25-year resident of Flower Mound who has worked for 32 years in finance and banking. His campaign slogan is “We Deserve Better!”
“I feel it is time for me to bring my experience and passion for Flower Mound to a higher level,” Johnson said. “Flower Mound voters should raise the bar of who they elect to their Town Council. They should demand candidates that have proven themselves in the community and non-profit environment before they are elevated to a position on council.”
Johnson has been active in the community for more than 20 years, according to the news release, including:
- Cross Timbers YMCA Board – 10 years, Board Chairman for 3 years
- Wellington HOA Board of Directors – 6 years and several officer positions
- Flower Mound Planning & Zoning Commissioner – 10 years in three different appointments
- Active Rotarian — over 10 years
- Flower Mound Summit Club Member – 10 years
- Lewisville ISD Facilities Advisory Committee 2016-2017
- Active in several area Chambers of Commerce
- Habitat for Humanity of Denton County — 3 years, currently Board President
“I feel these are characteristics that exhibit the ability to learn in different situations, work well with a variety of people, and lead in different parts of our community,” Johnson said. “These are important leadership qualifications to help move Flower Mound into the future and to improve our quality of life.”