The Wednesday morning fire at a mobile home in west Flower Mound was caused by an “alternate heating source igniting nearby materials,” according to the Flower Mound Fire Department.
The fire was reported about 6:45 a.m. in the 4600 block of Shiloh Road, according to the department. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, and one resident was treated at the scene for minor injuries.
The fire department later determined the fire was caused by candles being used to heat a room. FMFD then took to social media to remind residents a few safety tips for keeping your house warm this winter from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from open flames and heating equipment
- Never use your oven to heat your home
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month