by Elizabeth Brannon
The Flower Mound Cultural Arts Commission is a six member commission with two alternates, appointed by the Town Council, that makes recommendations to the Town Council and Town staff in policy matters regarding arts and library goals, objectives and programs. Our mission is to promote a community brought together and enriched through the cultural arts and a vibrant library program.
The primary objectives of the Commission are to:
- Promote cultural activities emphasizing music, art, literature, drama and dance by and for the citizens of Flower Mound to enhance the overall quality of life of the community.
- Promote culturally rewarding artistic experiences that members of the community find enjoyable.
- Advise the Town Council and staff regarding policies, services, and programs including: cultural arts, art in public places, library services, and recorded history of Flower Mound.
- Assist the staff and Town Council in the planning process for arts and library facilities and programs.
The commission as we know it today was established in 2014.
Currently, the Commission consists of:
Place 1: Ron Miller, Chair
Place 2: Elizabeth Brannon
Place 3: Beth Dilley
Place 4: Tammie Turner
Place 5: Annette Weir, Vice-Chair
Place 6: Matt Brown
Place 7: Douglas Cramer (Alternate)
Place 8: Jessica Douglas (Alternate)
Town employee, Sue Ridnour, Director of Library Services, Flower Mound Public Library, is the official liaison from the Cultural Arts Commission to the Town Council and Town staff.
Qualifications for membership on the Cultural Arts Commission include being a resident of Flower Mound, a genuine interest in library services and programs, cultural arts, the community, the ability to work with the public, and time to devote to this service.
- Meetings of the Cultural Arts Commission are held as needed to accomplish the goals of the commission. Information about meetings, agendas and minutes is available on the Town website.
- The Cultural Arts Commission will advise the Town Council and Town staff regarding policies, services and programs, including but not limited to, cultural arts programs, art in public places, library programs, and library collection development and fines.
- The Cultural Arts Commission will review and make a final determination of any request for reconsideration for the removal of library materials.
- The Cultural Arts Commission will guide the vision for public art in the Town of Flower Mound, maintain a roster of artists, solicit and recommend to the Town Council art for both permanent and temporary displays in the Town of Flower Mound.
- The Cultural Arts Commission will be responsible for identifying and securing funding for the purchase of art work or for the installation of donated art work.
- The Cultural Arts Commission will have those other responsibilities as outlined in the Public Arts Policy or as assigned by the Town Council.
More details about a roster of artists, temporary and permanent art displays, public art and donations or acquisition of art can be found in the Town of Flower Mound Public Arts Policy.
In subsequent months, we’ll highlight the recent and exciting works of the Cultural Arts Commission and the things we’re looking forward to in the New Year.
As 2017 comes to a close, the Cultural Arts Commission encourages residents to enjoy the varied and spectacular holiday programs coming up this month from the many arts groups here in Flower Mound and in southern Denton County.