Did you know on average children are twice as likely to be hit by a car on October 31, than any other day of the year?
To ensure your Halloween is full of safe and spooky fun, follow a few common-sense safety tips courtesy of the Flower Mound Police Department:
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors.
- Avoid masks; they can obstruct a child’s vision.
- Cross the street at corners, and make eye contact with drivers to ensure you’re seen.
- Keep electronics at home when trick-or-treating.
- Use glow sticks and flashlights to alert motorists of your presence.
- Adult supervision is key, but if you believe your child is mature enough to trick-or-treat alone, be sure they do so in groups.
- As a motorist, slow way down in residential areas, and use extra caution when entering and exiting driveways and alleys.
- Have an adult inspect all candy before eating it, and discard any opened or homemade treats.