Flower Mound Animal Services recently captured a skunk that tested positive for rabies in the Westchester neighborhood, located north of FM 1171 and west of FM 2499.
Authorities said that there have been no reports of humans or animals that have come in contact with the rabid skunk.
Residents are reminded to make sure all of their pets are current on their vaccinations and to report skunk sightings to Animal Services at 972-874-6390.
Below are some steps suggested by Flower Mound Animal Services that can be taken to discourage skunks from entering your yard:
- Eliminate sources of water, particularly in dry climates
- Do not discard edible garbage where skunks can access
- Secure garbage containers and eliminate garbage odors
- Feed pets indoors whenever possible, and remove any leftovers if feeding pets outdoors
- Store pet and livestock feed where it is inaccessible to wildlife