Rapid Med Urgent Care Center 972-966-1980

Lakeside DFW

General discussion relating to the town of Flower Mound.

Moderators: Al-La-Mod, admin

Re: Lakeside DFW

Postby YellowRose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:41 am

Max posted an interesting article from the State Comptroller's office:

Texas Comptroller Issues Report on Public Education Debt: We Are Mortgaging Our Children’s Future

AUSTIN— While most taxpayers are focused on the $16 trillion federal debt, few Texans realize that local governments have amassed over $322 billion in debt. One-third of that is public education debt.

A new report issued by Texas Comptroller Susan Combs titled “Your Money and Education Debt” will provide insight into debt issued by public schools, community colleges and universities.

“Local government debt is one of the most pressing issues facing Texas. This report is a breath of fresh air for taxpayers,” said Peggy Venable, Texas director of Americans for Prosperity-Texas. “The Comptroller points out that present day debt commitments will continue to affect Texans for decades."

Venable said, “Texas is second only to California, the Greece of America, in local government debt. We are mortgaging our children’s future.”

Public education debt per student has grown at a rate of four times faster than inflation. The report reveals that per student debt in Texas is $13,334. Current and future taxpayers are responsible.

The largest expenditure in public education is debt service, which increased over the past 10 years at twice the rate of ISD’s payroll. Debt service rose by 127 percent while overall expenditures grew 64 percent.

Per student debt increased most among slower enrollment growth districts. Debt increased 257.6 percent in those districts compared to 138.4 percent growth in the fastest-growth districts.

The most rapid debt service growth occurred immediately following the legislature providing property tax relief.

I can't help but see that this Lakeside DFW development will only add to Flower Mound's local debt load in the way of burdening the existing road, water and sewer infrastructure and now the schools. And an LISD problem for sure. As Hog Caller pointed out in the other forum addressing public education, we have to educate all at our expense regardless if their parents put into the system or not. The Lakeside DFW representatives state that there will be very few children that will live in the development. What pipe are they smoking? Apartments equals families who want to live in Flower Mound, so that they can get a quality education via the LISD public school system.

If I lived in the feeder schools for Lakeside DFW--Bluebonnet, Shadowridge and FMHS--I would be putting my house on the market today.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like trying to administer medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine
YellowRose
Old Timer

Postby JKTex » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:20 pm

An HOA is concerned about nose form an amphitheater? How about FM High School? We're over a mile as a crow flies and can hear ever call of a game from inside. They're at about the same or less distance than we are. Maybe they could just complain about what they're really complaining about, they just don't want it. :)

If I recall, the residential (which appears to be a larger % than remember....maybe not) was not going to be the kind of "rental" apartments that would attract young families. I know someone already looking at it as a downsize shack in a few years when they're empty nesters. If I recall, it was to be similar to Legacy which from the only person I know that has a place there, they're more expensive than a lot of the houses people buy in FM and certainly not kid friendly.

Guess I ought to look at it again. With my luck it's been changed 180*. :D
*Advertising space available. Inquire within for fees and terms*
JKTex
King of the Block

Postby YellowRose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:32 pm

The developers of Lakeside DFW have said that apartments, an initial 2000 units, will not be conducive to families with children. The question is how many young professionals, as to what has been proposed by the developer, want to live in a suburb? Empty nesters can be better envisioned, since they may have family living nearby or retired and want to downsize and/or stay in Flower Mound. The only problem that I foresee is that the current landowners and master developer will want to sell off sections to the highest bidder, which may want to build ordinary multi-family housing units and not the trendy, high-end loft apartments as what the developer is pitching to the town. Once zoning is changed to mixed use, up to 70 percent of the land use can be residential and the town cannot stop a developer from building multi-family housing or it is considered discrimination. The only way that a town can enforce the type of housing is by a development agreement that the residential plan will be age- or deed-restricted--55 years and older.

It's a scary thing for our Flower Mound schools, since there are no new schools other than the two 9th grade centers on the books. Even with a declining enrollment at the elementary level, that can change quickly, as new families with young children continue to move to Flower Mound. And we have quite a few new housing developments that are being built as I type.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like trying to administer medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine
YellowRose
Old Timer

Postby YellowRose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:54 pm

JKTex wrote:An HOA is concerned about nose form an amphitheater?

You bring up another concern that I have. There is an amphitheater proposed at the new Heritage Park. Why is Lakeside going to build a second one within two miles of each other? And in the direct path of DFW airport??? Both amphitheaters will be competing with noise pollution from airplanes. The one at Lakeside DFW maybe more so, since it will be next to the water which will amplify any noise that much more.

Hope that the citizens of Flower Mound are not being sold a bill of goods, as Lakeside DFW could be a quality project sans apartments and amphitheaters.
YellowRose
Old Timer

Postby JKTex » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:25 am

YellowRose wrote:The developers of Lakeside DFW have said that apartments, an initial 2000 units, will not be conducive to families with children. The question is how many young professionals, as to what has been proposed by the developer, want to live in a suburb? Empty nesters can be better envisioned, since they may have family living nearby or retired and want to downsize and/or stay in Flower Mound. The only problem that I foresee is that the current landowners and master developer will want to sell off sections to the highest bidder, which may want to build ordinary multi-family housing units and not the trendy, high-end loft apartments as what the developer is pitching to the town. Once zoning is changed to mixed use, up to 70 percent of the land use can be residential and the town cannot stop a developer from building multi-family housing or it is considered discrimination. The only way that a town can enforce the type of housing is by a development agreement that the residential plan will be age- or deed-restricted--55 years and older.

It's a scary thing for our Flower Mound schools, since there are no new schools other than the two 9th grade centers on the books. Even with a declining enrollment at the elementary level, that can change quickly, as new families with young children continue to move to Flower Mound. And we have quite a few new housing developments that are being built as I type.

I think this is kind of what just happened to Highland Village at the new Town Center or whatever the new "apartment complex" is called. Either way, the result was a lawsuit and apartments arrived.
*Advertising space available. Inquire within for fees and terms*
JKTex
King of the Block

Postby YellowRose » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01 am

JKTex wrote:I think this is kind of what just happened to Highland Village at the new Town Center or whatever the new "apartment complex" is called. Either way, the result was a lawsuit and apartments arrived.

Somebody wrote a comment a couple weeks ago in regard to the the change of the townhomes in HV from ownership to apartments. The comment was titled "Sign of the Times." Because of the mortgage meltdown of 2008, it is hard for many to get a loan and renting is the only viable option for the masses. Apartment complexes are where the money is these days and the investment community is already there.

If the leaders of Flower Mound would stick to the current Mixed Use ordinance and only allow 5-story heights, it would not be so bad, but 18-, if not 25-story buildings on the southend of town that serves as a major arterial into Flower Mound? Talk about an eyesore, with no transition to the existing neighborhoods to the north. I can understand why those people are upset. Especially when they thought that they were going to get something similar to Southlake's Town Center. Southlake Town Center has about 140 two-story townhomes and they are ownership. The land use there is maybe 11 percent tops--not 70 percent as what is written in Flower Mound's MU ordinance.
YellowRose
Old Timer

Postby admin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:33 pm

CrossTimbersGazette.com Admin
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:02 am

Lakeside DFW gets approval from Flower Mound P&Z. http://www.crosstimbersgazette.com/inde ... rst-hurdle
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:37 am

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 am

Town Council members unanimously approved two rezoning proposals and a Master Plan Amendment Monday night that will pave the way for Lakeside DFW: http://www.crosstimbersgazette.com/inde ... -dfw-plans
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:38 am

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:48 pm

admin