Rapid Med Urgent Care Center 972-966-1980

Cooking Oil Disposal

General discussion relating to Lantana.

Moderators: Al-La-Mod, admin

Cooking Oil Disposal

Postby tumbleweed » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:18 am

Does anyone know if there is a facility for disposing of cooking oil for Lantana residents? The closest thing I could find was in the City of Denton and you have to be a City resident.
tumbleweed
Old Timer

Re: Cooking Oil Disposal

Postby skiing1974 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:51 pm

so where can we take used cooking oil and get rid of it? trash pickup somehow found it in the middle of the trash can we left and left it on our sidewalk. really, where can we take it? it is 4 gallons in a container.
skiing1974
King of the Block

Postby JKTex » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Check with a restaurant. They dispose of it by the barrel and many have folks picking it up for home-brew WVO bio-diesel.
*Advertising space available. Inquire within for fees and terms*
JKTex
King of the Block

Postby jlbates » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:37 pm

skiing1974 wrote:so where can we take used cooking oil and get rid of it? trash pickup somehow found it in the middle of the trash can we left and left it on our sidewalk. really, where can we take it? it is 4 gallons in a container.

Oops. I put a jug of used oil in our trash for Friday pickup and they took it. Didn't realize we couldn't throw that away.
It doesn't matter if I've had my coffee or not.
jlbates
King of the Block

Postby neighbor » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:02 am

skiing1974 wrote:so where can we take used cooking oil and get rid of it? trash pickup somehow found it in the middle of the trash can we left and left it on our sidewalk. really, where can we take it? it is 4 gallons in a container.

They may have thought it was motor oil. Cooking oil is bio degradable, and can go to he dump. In fact, I think it will even enhance their methane production.

Also, I think Central Market will take it.
neighbor
King of the Block

Postby skiing1974 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:40 pm

so where do we dump cooking oil? restaurants won't take it.
skiing1974
King of the Block

Postby Susyquk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Central Market and Whole Foods have cooking oil recycling containers outside their stores.
Susyquk
Settling In

Postby skiing1974 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Took it to the dump in Little Elm. One in Denton only allows it be used by Denton residents.
skiing1974
King of the Block

Postby CopperCanyonResident » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:10 am

Here is an idea: mix your cooking oil with gasoline or perhaps something less volatile like kerosene and burn it in a sturdy container in the back yard.

If you have small quantities, like a frying pan full, you can can also put it somewhere strategically in your yard.

Also, you can dump it on your compost heap in the backyard and let nature take its course.

Honestly, this is not a big problem. If society collapses, I doubt many of you will make it through to the other side.

Is household oil really that big of a problem?

Heck, when you have a romantic fire in the fireplace, duimp your used oil on the kindling and watch the magic begin!

This is not rocket science, folks. It is just cooking oil!
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." -Marcus Tullius Cicero
CopperCanyonResident
Old Timer

Postby JKTex » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:29 pm

CopperCanyonResident wrote:This is not rocket science, folks. It is just cooking oil!

Oh, you underoverestimate all us good folks! We can complicate a falling oak leave. :D
*Advertising space available. Inquire within for fees and terms*
JKTex
King of the Block

Postby skiing1974 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks CCR, I will do that next time, next to the tank I have in the backyard in the HOA controlled/ran place.
skiing1974
King of the Block

Return to Lantana