Rapid Med Urgent Care Center 972-966-1980

Windows 10

Propeller heads unite! Discuss computers, software, Internet, HDTV and other technology questions, reviews and recommendations here.

Moderators: Al-La-Mod, admin

Windows 10

Postby Rosemary » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:53 pm

I have a question about upgrading to Windows 10 when it comes out next month. I'm using Windows 7, and according to Microsoft can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Since I've never changed operating systems before, I'm wondering what I should do about my files and photos, if anything. Do any of you techies out there know if my files will be gone after the upgrade? Should I back up everything before Microsoft upgrades my system?
Rosemary
King of the Block

Re: Windows 10

Postby Common Sense Al » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Rosemary,

I don't think your files will be lost... backup is always a good idea regardless.

I would not recommend upgrading right away. You have a year to do so for free so let them get the kinks out.

Plus you may want to read this:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... windows-8/
Now THAT'S common sense.
Common Sense Al
King of the Block

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:27 pm

Thanks, Al. I'll be taking your advice and not upgrading right away if at all. Windows 7 is fine for me. The only thing that I am somewhat concerned about is the possibility that Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 sometime in the future while I'm still using it.
Rosemary
King of the Block

Postby Common Sense Al » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:59 am

You're welcome!

I'll probably recommend most people upgrade before the free-upgrade year is out. I just can't recommend everyone upgrade right away before the 'guinea pigs' have the first chance to upgrade and we see what problems pop up. :)
Now THAT'S common sense.
Common Sense Al
King of the Block

Postby Common Sense Al » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Now THAT'S common sense.
Common Sense Al
King of the Block

Postby Rosemary » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Thanks Al. that article is pretty much like what was in the Forbes article. I just thought I'd put something out here to see if any of the usual responders on Tech Talk would share their thoughts. It's obvious that nobody is on this forum but you and me (rip :( ). That being said, now I wish Firefox would stop crashing. I'm getting fed up with it - end of discussion.
Rosemary
King of the Block

Postby Common Sense Al » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Yep.. the forum is pretty dead. :(

You could be running an Add-On that is causing Firefox to crash so you may want to turn off or disable as many add-ons as you can and see if that helps.

I use Chrome as my main browser now... so you may also want to try Chrome. I think it's the best browser out there right now... and the most used.
Now THAT'S common sense.
Common Sense Al
King of the Block

Postby Rosemary » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Common Sense Al wrote:
You could be running an Add-On that is causing Firefox to crash so you may want to turn off or disable as many add-ons as you can and see if that helps.

I use Chrome as my main browser now... so you may also want to try Chrome. I think it's the best browser out there right now... and the most used.

I've already disabled some add-ons and plug-ins and I suspect the problem is Shockwave Flash. I've had Chrome for some time but rarely use it. I think I'll just switch over to Chrome as my main browser too and see what happens.
Rosemary
King of the Block

Return to Tech Talk