Rapid Med Urgent Care Center 972-966-1980

HB 2541

General discussion relating to Lantana.

Moderators: Al-La-Mod, admin

HB 2541

Postby JKTex » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:07 am

I'm surprised this hasn't come up as a discussion item yet since it's a good first step, and was been a hot topic at one point.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/06/10/lawl ... or-police/
*Advertising space available. Inquire within for fees and terms*
JKTex
King of the Block

Re: HB 2541

Postby admin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:26 am

Lantana is not "Lawless". The Sheriff's Dept. writes tickets for traffic violations in Lantana and they are not worthless. Just try it and see. :wink:

Here's what I don't like about HB 2541:

"As a condition of extending a traffic rule under Subsection (c), the commissioners court may require the special district to pay for all or a part of the costs of extending enforcement to the roads of the district. The commissioners court shall consult with the sheriff to determine the cost of extending enforcement."

Right now, the Sheriff's Dept. patrols Lantana when they can and we don't pay anything for it (other than county taxes that everyone pays). If this bill passes, residents may have to fork over a fee in addition to the county taxes that we already pay.

From Lantana's General Manager, Kevin Mercer:

"The bill as currently written would benefit the county at the special districts’ expense. The language is vague but easily could be interpreted to preclude any law enforcement agency other than the county sheriff from providing enforcement services within the special districts and furthermore allows the county to charge for any and or all services so provided."

This bill was spurred by a request for an AG opinion about traffic enforcement in FWSD's by Denton County Commissioner Precinct 1, Hugh Coleman, who has a bee in his bonnet about all the Fresh Water Supply Districts in his area of NE Denton County.

I discussed this issue today with Pct. 4 Commissioner Andy Eads and he explained that HB 2541 is an attempt to clarify the role of the DSCO inside these districts in response to the AG opinion.

As many of you know, I have been pushing for a dedicated Sheriff's patrol for years to improve response time and the two FWSD boards are still discussing it.
CrossTimbersGazette.com Admin
admin
Site Admin

Postby love Lantana » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:28 am

admin wrote:I have been pushing for a dedicated Sheriff's patrol for years to improve response time and the two FWSD boards are still discussing it.

yes I can attest to this, Max has been pushing for this. sadly and unfortunately he is the only one. It is frustrating to watch the board continually shelve this issue.
Love to Garden
love Lantana
King of the Block

Postby JHA14894 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:31 am

Nice job Shane !! Lets just let all of DFW know we are "lawless". Come One, Come All !! This has been a well discussed issue on this board and others for years... Going to the local news just puts our families in harms way, and does not get us any closer to dedicated law enforcement patrols. I am in favor of those patrols, but it is going to take a internal grass roots movement to make it happen, along with the acknowledged increased cost to the homeowners.
JHA14894
Settling In

Postby admin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:38 am

JHA14894 wrote:Nice job Shane !! Lets just let all of DFW know we are "lawless".

And he's wrong...

If the DCSO catches you breaking any state traffic law in Lantana, you will get a ticket and it will be valid in court.

And they do patrol here when they can...
admin
Site Admin

Postby JHA14894 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 am

I am much more concerned about Shane's engraved invitation to burgle, steal, and vandalize to all of DFW, since we have no law in Lantana, that the traffic citations. Getting people to slow down on Lantana Trail is a whole different discussion thread....
JHA14894
Settling In

Postby Mrs T » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:31 am

Now would be a great time to thoroughly discuss (here, in the comments on the CBS article and in any other available forum); all of the security systems, cameras, neighborhood watch programs, CHL holders and large dogs of Lantana. Throw in the mountain lion/bobcat stories and any available photos of reptiles - big city crooks are scairt of country creatures.
Mrs T
Old Timer

Postby Pipeline » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:47 am

Would the two DCSO's deputies that CC has under contract be obligated to handle emergencies in Lantana, once the 2 or 3 cut-thrus are open to CC road? Certainly would speed up response time, and they hang out on CC Road anyway. They are Sheriff's deputies whether under contract or not. Probably would not be moral or legal for them to sit on CC road, watching a movie on their laptop, while waiting for the next speeder, whilst a burglary, rape or gang war was being 911'd in "lawless" Lantana.
"keep your powder dry people, Stormtroopers are coming, get ready"
Pipeline
King of the Block

Postby Pipeline » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:55 am

Mrs T wrote: big city crooks are scairt of country creatures.

Me too. Especially large reptiles. I've seen Godzilla movies. I'm still waiting for an "expert" CC resident sighting of a Komoda dragon.

Chills. I meant cheers.
"keep your powder dry people, Stormtroopers are coming, get ready"
Pipeline
King of the Block

Postby admin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:32 am

Pipeline wrote:Would the two DCSO's deputies that CC has under contract be obligated to handle emergencies in Lantana...

They already are. Anytime there is a call in Lantana, the DSCO will respond or ask for a neighboring PD (Bartonville, DO, Argyle) to handle it if they cannot.

In fact, Argyle Fire Station 513 in Lantana on CC Road has an office that the Sheriff's Deputies can use to complete paperwork.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Common Sense Al » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:51 am

admin wrote:If the DCSO catches you breaking any state traffic law in Lantana, you will get a ticket and it will be valid in court.

Right... but if I remember correctly, the claim was that the speed limit signs are technically invalid, because the FWSD's don't have that kind of authority, so speeding wouldn't be breaking a state traffic law, unless perhaps there is some 'default' speed limit set by Texas law. So...

1. Under whose authority were the speed limit signs in Lantana posted, and
2. Do they have the legal authority to post the signs and set speed limits so that they can be enforced, and,
3. If so, what law says that they have that authority? And...
4. If there weren't any speed limit signs, what would Texas law say the speed limit was, or would there not be one?

:D

NOTE: I don't speed... usually people are speeding by me. :D

It's almost like the "NO SOLICITING" signs... technically, it's not illegal even though you're not suppose to do it.
Now THAT'S common sense.
Common Sense Al
King of the Block

Postby admin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Al wrote:
admin wrote:If the DCSO catches you breaking any state traffic law in Lantana, you will get a ticket and it will be valid in court.

Right... but if I remember correctly, the claim was that the speed limit signs are technically invalid, because the FWSD's don't have that kind of authority, so speeding wouldn't be breaking a state traffic law, unless perhaps there is some 'default' speed limit set by Texas law. So...

1. Under whose authority were the speed limit signs in Lantana posted, and
2. Do they have the legal authority to post the signs and set speed limits so that they can be enforced, and,
3. If so, what law says that they have that authority? And...
4. If there weren't any speed limit signs, what would Texas law say the speed limit was, or would there not be one?

There are indeed state traffic regulations. Lantana's FWSD posted speed limits are close to those regulations. The problem arose when Hugh Coleman, Precinct 1 County Commissioner, decided to question the validity of the Sheriff enforcing traffic laws inside FWSD's. HB 2541 is an attempt to clarify the role of the DSCO inside these districts.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Common Sense Al » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:27 pm

admin wrote:There are indeed state traffic regulations. Lantana's FWSD posted speed limits are close to those regulations.

So.. if I understand...

1. The streets in Lantana fall under Texas traffic regulation laws.
2. The posted speed limits are 'valid' because they are 'close to' these regulations, and not because the FWSD has traffic regulation authority?

Thanks.
Now THAT'S common sense.
Common Sense Al
King of the Block

Postby admin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:38 pm

This was posted by a resident today on the Official Lantana Facebook Page:

"Great news story last night on the excessive speeding here. I've been the lucky recipient of one ticket. HOWEVER, as an RN who advocates for children and safety...it's amazing to me how many "little" children are allowed to play in the streets in the many neighborhoods of our community. A part of accountability lies with parents. Even attentive parents are observed letting little kids as young as 4 play in the street. What is even more disturbing is that kids as young as 5 are riding their bikes in the streets. Hello? I ate soap and had a few belt swats for doing that as a child. Please remember our first priority is the kiddos!"
admin
Site Admin

Postby love Lantana » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:34 am

admin wrote:This was posted by a resident today on the Official Lantana Facebook Page:

"Great news story last night on the excessive speeding here. I've been the lucky recipient of one ticket. HOWEVER, as an RN who advocates for children and safety...it's amazing to me how many "little" children are allowed to play in the streets in the many neighborhoods of our community. A part of accountability lies with parents. Even attentive parents are observed letting little kids as young as 4 play in the street. What is even more disturbing is that kids as young as 5 are riding their bikes in the streets. Hello? I ate soap and had a few belt swats for doing that as a child. Please remember our first priority is the kiddos!"

not just that there are so many other things kids do now that I don't let mine do. Kids are for the most part unsupervised. THEY are the ones who are going to pay the price in who they become one day.
Love to Garden
love Lantana
King of the Block

Next

Return to Lantana