by Will Travis
Denton County Sheriff
Here at the Denton County Sheriff’s Office, we strive to be a community-based organization at all times, and I would like to invite you to become a part of this endeavor.
We’re starting a new program to increase our ability to get involved in the community. The Volunteers in Police Services Program is committed to developing a spirit of cooperation and partnership within the community to enhance the DCSO’s ability to serve citizens of Denton County.
In addition, our VIPS program is designed to give our volunteers a sense of personal satisfaction as they perform meaningful and important roles that directly affect our community. The Volunteers in Police Service program, or VIPS, is part of a national Volunteer in Police Service Organization. The goal of the program is to give the volunteers a chance to give back to their community.
Community volunteers have a direct effect on the community by helping the sheriff’s office make Denton County a better place to live while enjoying a sense of personal satisfaction.
Where can you help your community?
- Community events
- School events
- Juvenile Impact Program
- Translation services
- Fingerprinting services
Crime prevention support Volunteer benefits?
- Helping others
- Community involvement
- Meeting new and interesting people
Personal satisfaction Reasons to be a VIP?
- Participate in purpose driven programs that benefit your community
- Develop valuable relationships with other volunteers, your county and your sheriff’s office
- Exercise your special skills, talents and experience in a new venue
- Support your sheriff’s department employees by performing duties that enable them to concentrate on public service
What are the minimum requirements to volunteer?
- Live or work within Denton County
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Successfully pass a background investigation
- Have no felony or serious misdemeanor convictions
- Minimum eight hours a month time commitment
Volunteers are selected to ensure a broad community representation.
How do I get started? For more information on volunteering or for an application, contact Deputy Penny Campbell at email@example.com or Deputy Bob Hargenrater at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 940-349-1549.
You may also download an application by going to dentoncounty.com/Departments/Sheriff.aspx and click on Volunteer Law Enforcement Opportunities.