by Linda Wright
Mary Kay Walker, the Flower Mound Hospital Auxiliary president who has logged over 5,000 volunteer hours herself, presented volunteers with pins and hours-earned bars. Four volunteers were presented with five-year pins, including Lorraine Gonya, Jerry McKinnis, Mike Miller and Mary Kay Walker.
Additionally, the award of Volunteer of the Year was presented to Mark Winge for his bookkeeping efforts for the auxiliary. Both the adult and junior volunteers provide a valuable service to the hospital by supplying staff at the welcome desk, the gift shop and select departments of the hospital.
Hospital CEO Spencer Turner began the evening by thanking the volunteers for their contributions to the hospital and community. The evening was highlighted by a buffet meal and musical accompaniment by Andy Guarino of Now and Then “Songs that Span Six Decades.”
Walker also awarded largest number of scholarships presented by FMHA to date to the accomplished junior volunteer winners who had logged at least 100 volunteer hours and had the strongest combination of accomplishments, academics and organizational leadership. The winners are:
- Dana Schultz who graduated from Marcus High School and will be attending The University of Oklahoma to study Pre-Medicine with a $1,500 scholarship
- Krupa George graduated from Flower Mound High School and will be attending Baylor University to study for a major with an emphasis on the Medical Humanities with a $1,250 scholarship
- Jenny Choe graduated from Flower Mound High School and will be attending Emory University to study nursing with a $1,250 scholarship
- Remi Haria graduated from Flower Mound High School and will be attending The University of Texas in Austin to study Biology with a $1,000 scholarship
- Sarah Rains graduated from Marcus High School and will be attending The University of Texas at Dallas to study biomedical engineering with a $1,000 scholarship
- Natalie Zimmerer graduated from Flower Mound High School and will be attending The University of Oklahoma to study nursing with a $1,000 scholarship.
Other FMHA board members are Vice President Linda Wright; Treasurer David Jones; and Secretary Mariane Pearn.
For more information about volunteering or otherwise supporting FMHA, contact Mary Kay Walker at 214-417-8939.