I am Doug Tobe and I want to go to work for the citizens of the Town of Bartonville. I am running for the high office of Mayor to restore citizen confidence in the leadership of our Town Council, and to maintain our revered rural environment and favorable tax rate.
After considering the ill-advised action taken at the special Town Council Meeting on Monday, April 21, 2014, it is incumbent upon me as a credible candidate for the office of Mayor to address the poor judgment and unethical stewardship/governance exercised by those council members who voted to approve the settlement agreement between Cross Timbers Water Supply Corporation (CTWSC) and the Town of Bartonville.
It is poor judgment and unethical stewardship/governance to approve a settlement agreement when the Town of Bartonville is not guilty of any wrongdoing, CTWSC is guilty of acting against the Town of Bartonville, and whereby:
• Restitution to the Town of Bartonville for legal fees is contingent on CTWSC receiving the Special Use Permit it needs to complete construction of the water tower. To do so betrays/compromises the Code of Ordinances of the Town of Bartonville. To do so for financial gain constitutes illegal contract zoning. It further sets an irresponsible precedent that will allow others to bargain for the right to circumvent local zoning ordinances in every city in the State of Texas;
• Restitution to the property owners in the Town of Bartonville is disregarded for the misuse of easements granted in good faith and/or the loss in market value that is the direct consequence of unethical action and behavior by CTWSC. To do so betrays/sacrifices the property owners of the Town of Bartonville;
• Restitution to the residents in the Town of Bartonville is ignored for any potential increase of property fire insurance incurred because of inadequate fire suppression standards that is a direct consequence of unethical inaction and misbehavior of CTWSC. To do so betrays/sacrifices the residents of the Town of Bartonville.
Accordingly, it is my firm belief that good judgment and ethical stewardship/governance is necessary in order to hold CTWSC accountable to make just amends for its indiscretions. Just amends to make whole the Town of Bartonville, its property owners and its citizens – without contingencies – includes:
• Restitution to the Town of Bartonville, its property owners, and its citizens for constructing the water tower against the ruling of the Town of Bartonville and the 4th Court of Appeals of the State of Texas by removing the water tower promptly;
• Restitution to the Town of Bartonville for its legal costs by reimbursing it promptly;
• Restitution to the Town of Bartonville property owners for the misuse of easements granted in good faith and/or for any decrease in market value they incur due to the water tower by reimbursing and/or indemnifying them promptly;
• Restitution to the Town of Bartonville citizens for any increase in property insurance rates they incur due to inadequate fire suppression standards by indemnifying them promptly;
• Indemnification of the Town of Bartonville citizens who are or will become customers of CTWSC against any CTWSC fee increases to recover restitution costs;
• Return of CTWSC to building low-profile ground storage tanks in accordance with the permits already approved by the Town of Bartonville.
I also firmly believe that good judgment and ethical stewardship/governance are vital to:
• Uphold our Code of Ordinances
• Maintain our Tax Rate and Balanced Budget
• Maintain our Police Department and Administrative Staff
• Maintain our Roads and Rural Environment
• Shape our Land Use and Zoning
It is imperative that the Town of Bartonville be supported by leadership, services, ordinances, and communication appropriate to sustaining the rural environment of the Town of Bartonville, its quality of life, and its superior property values – the unique common objectives desired and enjoyed by all our citizens.
To that end, I am ready, willing, and able to serve as your Mayor.
If our Town motto is to remain: “Preserving the Past, Preparing for the Future,” your good judgment and ethical vote are needed to help make it so.
If it is to be, vote Tobe for Mayor on May 10, 2014. Thank you for your consideration.