The Lakeside DFW team was concerned to see information that was circulated addressing Lakeside DFW, and we need to correct the inaccuracies contained in the information. We understand that during the hubbub of election season, information is often sent that is inaccurate. That seems to be the case with correspondence we encountered. Despite this error, please know that we look forward to continue working with the Town to make sure that Lakeside DFW is a great project.
We would like to set the record straight on several issues:
1. Lakeside DFW is not trying to bypass the Town’s mixed-used zoning process. Actually, the Town’s staff has seemed somewhat confused by the process as this is the first time that a project in Flower Mound has ever applied for mixed-use zoning. We have been trying to understand the zoning rules ourselves and need to make sure that the Town understands them, also.
2. We are very proud of our development team’s reputation and background. We previously delivered to the council many references from mayors, city managers, and city staff members of several adjacent suburbs like Southlake, Colleyville, and Argyle. We welcome anyone to call the people on that reference list.
3. We welcome the Town Council and any citizen to come tour The Village at Colleyville. We get very positive reviews of the project from almost everyone that tours the project and spends some time there. Colleyville’s city manager even owns a condominium in The Village!
4. While our team is important to Lakeside, the project is much bigger than any one of us, no matter whether we are a council member, citizen, or developer. Flower Mound has a strong mixed-use ordinance that has demanding quality standards and design requirements. Thus, Lakeside’s success will depend on its zoning, not any one developer. Just as the Campus Commercial zoning has shut down Lakeside since 1986, the mixed-use zoning will control the project for decades and help ensure its success, long after all of us are gone.
5. We have been very open about the project plans, our background, and our experience ever since last September when we got involved with Lakeside. We have met with hundreds of Flower Mound citizens during the last nine months. Interestingly, the vast majority of them are enthusiastic about Lakeside. I am proud of that effort and am proud of the intelligence and sophistication of Flower Mound residents. They know a good project when they see one.
6. We are sorry if anyone has interpreted our outreach efforts as a way to influence the election. We are happy to work with anyone on the council who is interested in making Lakeside a success. Please note that we have a policy of not contributing to political candidates, and we have not contributed to any candidates in this election. We have not allowed any candidates to post signs at Lakeside DFW.
I would be delighted to meet with any council member or citizen to clear up any misconceptions that you may have about Lakeside DFW, our company, or our background. Please feel free to contact me anytime, and we can meet or discuss any issues on the telephone. As mentioned above, we greatly look forward to working with the Town to make Lakeside DFW a place people love in Flower Mound.
Richard A. Myers, Founder, Realty Capital