The Lantana Education/Charitable Foundation was named by the board of directors for Communities in Schools of North Texas this week as one of the 2010 awardees to be recognized at the non-profit organization’s annual gala on March 27.
“This is a very impressive class of awardees that our board of directors and staff have selected”, said Gary Henderson, CEO of Communities in Schools of North Texas.
“In our short 16 year existence, CISNT has enjoyed outstanding support from the community. These award winners represent the very best work between our staff and the community in helping to prevent student dropouts. I wish more of the community could know the stories behind these award winners. Most people simply do not understand that our work today is shaping our community for years to come.”
CISNT’s 2010 award winners include:
• Lifetime Achievement Award – Mr. Bill Walker, Community Relations Director (retired), Hillwood Development
• 1Child Impact Award – Lantana Education/Charitable Foundation
• Advocate of the Year – Judge Darlene Whitten, Denton County
• Business Partner of the Year – Verizon Foundation
• Community Partner of the Year – Cross Timbers Church
• Educator of the Year – Ms. Sharon Cox, Director of Communications & Community Relations, Denton ISD
• Volunteer of the Year – Garden Ridge Church of Christ Food 4 Kids Volunteer Team
• Student of the Year – Maritza, Northwest ISD
Each of the award winners represent work and support that made an impact in key areas that affect student dropouts, such as alleviating child hunger, providing a second chance to an incarcerated youth, giving vital literacy support to second language learners, investing time in student mentoring, and providing vital financial support to CISNT, according to a press release from the organization.
For more information on the awards event, visit www.cisnt.org or call 972-436-6377.